Home Poisoning Q&A

The following information has been sourced from the Tennessee Poison Control Center, American Association of Poison Control Centers, and American Academy of Pediatrics.

Q: What are the most common poisons for children?

A:

  • Cosmetics such as perfume or nail polish, and personal care products such as deodorant and soap.
  • Cleaning products (for example, laundry detergent and floor cleaners).
  • Pain medicines (analgesics) such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
  • Foreign bodies and toys including silica gel packages to remove moisture in packaging and glow products.
  • Topical preparations such as diaper rash products, hydrogen peroxide, acne preparations, or calamine lotion.
Q: What are the most common poisons for adults?

 

A:

  • Pain medicines (analgesics) which can be over-the-counter, prescribed, or illegal. Examples include asprin, oxycodone, acetaminophen, methadone, and ibuprofin.
  • Sedatives (drugs to reduce anxiety), hypnotics (sleeping pills), and antipsychotics (drugs used to treat mental illness).
  • Household cleaning products
  • Antidepressants (drugs to treat depression)
  • Cardiovascular drugs (drugs to treat heart disease)
  • Alcohols
Q: What are the most dangerous poisons?

A:The most common poisons are not necessarily the most dangerous ones. Some of the more dangerous types of poisons that could be found in a home include:

  • Antifreeze and windshield washer products
  • Some medicines
  • Corrosive cleaners like drain openers, oven cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners and rust removers
  • Fuels such as kerosene, lamp oil, gasoline, and tiki-torch oil
  • Pesticides

As well, teens and adults should be aware of the dangers of improperly used medications, inhalants, carbon monoxide, and alcohols.

Q:What is the best way to protect children against poisoning?

A: The best defense against unintentional poisoning is prevention. Parents should keep potential poisons locked out of sight and out of reach. Replace child-resistant caps immediately after use, keep all products in their original containers, discard all old medications, and refer to medicine by its correct name – don’t call pills “candy”.

Q: What should a parent do if their child swallows a potentially poisonous substance?

 

A: When a child swallows a potentially poisonous substance, the advice of a well-trained, well-qualified health professional is needed. Keep the number of the Poison Control Center posted near the phone; the universal number in the U.S. is 1/800-222-1222. Call 9-1-1 if a child is having convulsions, stops breathing or loses consciousness.

One Response to “Home Poisoning Q&A”

  1. Barbara Mathieson

    What are the most common poisons for dogs and cats? Isn’t chocolate harmful to them?

Leave a Reply